Sunday, March 29, 2009

Unplugged Friday!

On Friday I took on Kimba's Unplug Challenge! For our family that meant No TV & No Computer!

I use the computer frequently throughout the day! I check emails, myspace, update my blog, download things, search for fun ideas to do with the girls, etc.! What I didn't realize was that by doing those things I was wasting soooo much quality time and energy! Not to mention how much time is wasted in front of the TV after Robby gets home!

I went cold turkey on Friday, which was alot harder than I thought! I think that there is a sort of high I get when I have an unread message or comment! Its like Christmas! I can't wait to find out who its from, what they said, etc. It sounds silly but I seriously felt like an addict wanting to get my technological fix for the day!

Instead, I completely rearranged my priorities! Keep in mind there are alot of these things that I normally do everyday, but on Friday I made sure to take my time and give the important things my undivided attention! No Distractions!

I woke up early and made pancakes (Bella's favorite) and rice cereal with carrots for Lilly Bean! Then we got all showered and ready for the day! I found out later that day that Lilly is allergic to carrots just like Bella was when she was a baby. She got a rash just like Bella used to so no more carrots for a while! :o)

While Lilly napped and Bella cleaned her room ;o), I got to cleaning the house! I turned on some music to stay motivated which turned into Bella and I dancing like crazy in the living room! We got a little distracted but in a good way! Hey its exercise right?! So when I reached the point where my sides hurt and I couldn't breath, I turned off the music and got back to the house work!

Then came lunch time! We ate, and then Bella and I played "Pass the Pigs." We had a blast! She won and then it was nap time! No nap for me though! I got everything ready for dinner that night! We had steaks with a bacon/mushroom/A-1 sauce and twice baked mashed potato casserole!
When Robby got home he grilled the steaks on the BBQ, and then we all sat down together at the table...even Lilly! I was proud of us we rarely all sit together at dinner time anymore since Robby has been preparing to go to the field!
After dinner Bella wanted Daddy to play "Pass the Pigs." So we all played together...Daddy won! Then we cleaned up and got ready for bed! I have to say that it was so nice to get to bed at a decent hour instead of staying up late on the computer or watching late night TV!

So, by unplugging we had a great day together! Not only that but we conserved electricity which is always a plus! Robby even enjoyed not having the distractions, which surprised me since he loves to watch TV! Its kinda of sad how our technology can rob us of so much! We might do this once or twice a week! It was alot of fun!!!


2 comments:

Kim @ Forever Wherever said...

My husband wrote a funny post about how it didn't work around here. It sounds like you had a great day! I think I waste a ton of time in the evening and end up way too late!

~Kim

Decor To Adore said...

I am visiting via ASPTL. You made good use of your day off.