Saturday, August 8, 2009

ATTENTION MOMMIES!!!

If you have any baby or kids products that have Quaternium 15, like almost all Johnson and Johnson products, DONT USE THEM!

Quaternium 15 is a formaldehyde (ya know that stuff they preserve dead bodies with)carcinogen and causes cancer, dermatitis; is a neurotoxin, sensitizer-poisonous; an irritant to the skin, eyes, and mucous membranes!

I currently am stocked with Johnson and Johnson for Lilly & Bella and am throwing them all out! They are just too precious to wash n lotion them with something that causes cancer! I think I am going to replace them with Koala Pals Brand! They are all natural and safe for my babies!

If you are interested, here are some more products that a ton of us use and some of the yucky things they contain! No wonder everyone is getting cancer these days! Sick!

After reading this I am pretty sure that I am going to try converting my house to all natural stuff! Thats right ladies...I'm goin green!

I have personally already had a cancer scare, so really it makes sense for me! Also if any of you or your family members suffer from Allergies, Asthma, Eczema, Rosacia, or Autism, it is possible that some of your household products are causing those conditions!

Check your labels for ingredients on all of your products & look em up if they arent listed here!!!

Let me know if you want information on how I am converting my own home for my family!!!

Dove Beauty Bar-
-Quaternium 15: formaldehyde (carcinogen). Causes cancer, dermatitis; is a neurotoxin, sensitizer-poisonous; an irritant to the skin, eyes, and mucous membranes.

Johnson’s Baby Shampoo-
-Quaternium 15: formaldehyde (carcinogen). Causes cancer, dermatitis; is a neurotoxin, sensitizer-poisonous; an irritant to the skin, eyes, and mucous membranes.
-FD&C Red 40 Dye: listed as acutely toxic

Lysol Disinfectant Spray-
-Dioxin: carcinogen. 5,000 times more deadly than DDT Ethyl Alcohol; eye, skin, and respiratory tract irritant
-Phenol: Dermal exposure to phenol is highly irritating to the skin, eyes, and mucous membranes in humans. Has harmful effects on asthma, allergies, and ADD.
Registered as a pesticide.

Crest Tartar Control Toothpaste-
-Saccharin: carcinogen
-Phenol: Dermal exposure to phenol is highly irritating to the skin, eyes, and mucous membranes in humans. If you accidentally swallow more than a pea-sized amount of this, you must contact the Poison Control Center immediately.
This warning does not appear on the tube.

Tide & Cheer Detergent-
-Detergent: can cause temporary respiratory tract irritation. Symptoms include stinging, swelling, or redness.
-Sodium Silicate: can be corrosive. Can cause burns to the eyes and tissue damage to the skin, as well as cause burns to the mouth, throat, and stomach if swallowed.
-Sodium Sulfate: corrosive, severe eye, skin, and respiratory irritant. Can cause asthma attacks.
-Thisodium Nitrilotriacetate: carcinogen
Note: Tide powder contains fiberglass. This causes sweating and itching.

Clorox-
-Sodium Hypochlorite: corrosive. Sensitizer: can be fatal if swallowed. Eye, skin, and respiratory irritant. Especially hazardous to people with heart conditions or asthma.

Cascade-
-Sodium Hypochlorite Sodium Silicate: can be corrosive. Can cause burns to the eyes and tissue damage to the skin, as well as cause burns to the mouth, throat, and stomach if ingested.

Fantastic & Formula 409-
-Butyl Cellosolve: neurotoxin. Eye and skin irritant. Damages central nervous system, kidney, and liver. Readily absorbed through the skin. Damages blood and the body’s ability to make blood.
Registered as a pesticide.

Windex Aerosol Glass Cleaner-
-Butyl Cellosolve: (see above)
-Isobutane: neurotoxin

Also be sure you check out the "DIRTY DOZEN"!!! The "Dirty Dozen" products contain a wide-range of carcinogenic and other toxic ingredients and contaminants to which most of us are exposed daily!

Hope this was helpful for some you mama friends!


P.S. Here are some links of places this info was gathered from and for y'all to get more info!~Luvs!!!

http://www.epa.gov/
http://www.scorecard.org/
http://www.checnet.org/
www.cleaningpro.com/toxic.cfm
http://www.childenvironment.org/
http://www.concernedmoms.com/
http://www.preventcancer.com/

6 comments:

Lynette said...

dang the things that are used these days

just go with viniger and baking soda and water mostly

Amanda Jo said...

I just found your blog through the 20 something's blogger network and I had to comment! I cannot believe these companies would put such a dangerous chemical in such common things!!!

I use 90% of the things you listed!!!! Thanks for the heads up...I'll be cleaning out my cabinets soon!

Melina said...

I'm so glad you found us then Amanda Jo!!! If you are looking some safer alternatives, I just started shopping with a great company that sells pretty much everything under the sun for your home, and its all SAFE & CHEMICAL FREE! They are how I am converting my home! Let me know if you'd like more info about them!!!

Mlynczyk said...

So I looked up what Quaternium 15 really is...I didn't find that it is a carcinogen, but people can be allergic to it. It is in all types of things...make up, shampoos, lotions, and lots of other things. It is a preservative (similar to formaldehyde), but not formaldehyde. There are so many things we use that need to be preserved, so if you are concerned you shoudl look at all the make up you use as well. Stop drinking things that are diet (if you do) don't use bug sprays, don't live near anyone who uses tobacco ummm pretty much don't use anything man made because I think pretty much everything is on the list of things that are carcinogens. Oh and don't eat any food that is not grown from your own garden and hand made by you. I am just giving you another perspective. Some people are way to concerned with the tiny things in my opinion. I do my best to keep Keila healthy and safe, but truly she is doing fantastic compared to babies in Africa or other 3rd world countries who have aids, malaria, cholera, polio, malnutrition and any of the other deadly diseases. And if she dies of some sort of cancer at the age of 75 then she will have already lived 50+ years than any of those children. Okay, I really don't mean this to sound bad or anything! And, I hope you don't take it that way :)

Melina said...

Hey Leah!

If you go to preventcancer.com along with pretty much any other cancer site you will find that they have linked Quaternium 15 and other formaldehyde preservatives to cancer!You will find it in MANY MANY items in your household!

We of course need preservatives in our houshold products, but the problem is that many companies do not want to spend money and do research on safer alternatives and usually choose the easy way out and go for the toxic chemical preservatives instead!

You are so right that they are in probably 90%+ of products most people use!That fact probably plays a big role in the fact that more and more people are being diagnosed with cancer now more than ever!

Do your Research!!! There are quite a few companies that offer safe altenatives for your family! As for it being a little thing, I disagree!People think it small until it is your child or loved one that is affected!Chances are you probably wont have to wait until they are 75!!! For instance most mamas stop using certain things during pregnancy to protect their unborn child, so it can have the healthiest start possible! Why not do the same after they are born??? I strongly believe in prevention!!!

As for me, I use an all natural mineral makeup for all my makeup!!!! No yucky chemicals there! I don't drink diet drinks, one because I think they taste awful, and also because some of the chemicals used in the FAKE sugar have been linked to Lupus, which my mom unfortunately now has! As for food, I buy as much organic as possible. Its all about raising your awareness and then making healthy decisions! If you choose not to, that is up to you!!!

Mary @ The Writer's Block said...

Hi, Melina.

Just dropping in to say hello and encourage you in your business and your quest to educate moms.

I, too, work from home with the company you work with; LOVE it! Our family has benefited tremendously from the healthier, safer products.

BTW--your blog is beautiful and your kids are, too!